Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bob Hawkinson, fellow Viking, fellow Intercultural Adventurer

Like everyone else, I was very saddened by the news about Bob.  I have
been part of the Willamette/TIUA community since early 1989 and Bob is one
of the first people I remember meeting as I got to know the campus
community.

At that time, I could sense his energy and enthusiasm about "all things
Willamette."  Later, I had occasion to work with Bob as he fulfilled the
role of Interim Dean of the CLA.  I admired not only his enthusiasm but
also his wisdom and his willingness to always go the extra mile to see
that we all were able to do the right thing.

When President Pelton appointed Bob as Dean of Campus Life, I knew that it
was a perfect fit.  Through his visionary work, Bob confirmed the wisdom
of President Pelton's decision.  It was a pleasure working with Bob on the
development of Kaneko Commons and also on the multiple ways that we have
broadened and deepened our joint (WU & TIUA) co-curricular and residential
programming efforts.

Because of Bob's continuous support and ability to see the big picture, WU
and TIUA have been able to accomplish amazing things together that are the
envy of many other universities.

Bob was an innate "interculturalist."   I was so pleased to have the
chance to visit TIU and Tokyo with him a number of years ago.  After this
experience, Bob reinforced his interest in our collective exchange and I
know there are many former TIUA and TIU transfer students that fondly
remember their wonderful conversations with Professor Hawkinson.

To one of the few people that knew how to pronounce my name in the same
way my Grandmother did, and on behalf of TIUA...

Takk min venn (Thank you my friend),

Gunnar Gundersen

No comments:

Post a Comment