Tuesday, May 24, 2011

from Juwen Zhang



====================================
Bob was one of the those senior colleagues who would make a young
faculty member feel comfortable to work with in many ways. There are
two things that I would tell now. When I was to teach a College
Colloquium course for the first time in 2006 -- my fourth year in WU, I
learned that Bob once taught Aristotle's Ethics. So I had a
conversation with him over coffee about what I had planned to teach
Confucius and Aristotle on everyday ethics and what he could advise me.
Bob not only told me how he did it and what he learned from doing it,
but also loaned me quite a few books which turned out to be very
helpful. He made me feel confident to do it with his wonderful tips.
The following conversations over the semester were equally pleasant and
helpful.


In 2009, I was organizing a summer program for a group of students from
East China University of Political Science and Law, our sister
university in China. I asked Bob to give a lecture. He did it with
serious preparation. It turned out to be one of the best lectures the
students had. (See the picture of his engaging class.) He later told
me he enjoyed it very much and wanted to do it again. Just a about a
week ago, I emailed him and asked him to do it again this July ... and I
did not get his message. Instead, I got the message about his departure ...

Bob, you will not be forgotten.


Juwen Zhang
Associate Professor of Chinese

No comments:

Post a Comment