Monday, June 6, 2011

I wanted to share a few thoughts and memories about Bob. I first met Bob when he was a member of the faculty, then worked with him in his role as an associate dean.  About 13 years ago he became the Dean of Campus Life and I served as his Assistant.     


One of the first years I worked for him, Bob had me put up a sign on our door:  “Laissez les bons temps rouler!” – let the good times roll – as a kick-off to the new year. He was teaching the Greeks and Lysistrata in World Views and would wear a Socrates mask (complete with flowing white beard) to class, and had his students do something called “Parthenon Twister” at the final class.  Good times weren’t limited to the classroom, either.  He loved props and would start every fall Directors’ meeting with a ceremonial sword and Viking helmet, and bring a talking pig that said “more money, more money!” to our budget meetings.  He’d wander around the UC with his megaphone making announcements, “Now hear this, now hear this!”  


Bob regularly met with students to help them with their problems, proposals, or to give academic or career advice;  he had lunches or coffees with faculty to educate them about the Residential Commons; pored over the budget to see where we could cut just a little bit more.  But the endless staff and committee meetings (as reflected on the ubiquitous orange cards sticking out of Bob’s pocket – his low-tech version of a Blackberry), the hours I spent xeroxing articles for his classes, haggles over budgets and the various proposals don’t fully reflect our office or what Bob brought to it.  


While Bob wasn’t always the easiest guy to work for (I don’t think he ever did actually create a document on his computer – once Robert Minato was working on Bob’s computer and said “oh, I think I’ve erased all his documents!” and I told him “Bob didn’t have any documents”), what I’ll remember most about the years working for Bob is the humor he brought to the office and the generosity and care he showed to his students – many of whom considered him their “lifetime advisor.”  Most of us are familiar with his quick wit -- I’m sure people often wondered what was so funny when they heard us laughing in the office.  We’d often have tears running down our faces over some funny story. Our office dealt with some very difficult issues over the years, and sometimes humor is what helped us keep it together.  


But what some people might not know is Bob’s thoughtfulness to friends and colleagues.  He assisted an employee whose family was in dire circumstances, helped with tuition for a bright student from abroad -- I’ve personally been the recipient of his thoughtful generosity when he bought two tickets to bring my daughter and grandson over for a visit from Macedonia for the summer.  He crafted literally hundreds of letters of recommendation to help students continue their education, get a scholarship or land a job.  His involvement with students went beyond graduation – he participated in their weddings, they brought their spouses and children by to meet him, he followed their careers and celebrated their accomplishments.  I’m sure there are many here who owe their career – and life trajectory - to Bob’s enthusiastic advocacy.  He changed lives.  


When I think of my years working with Bob, this is what I’ll remember...
* likely places to find the Dean when he’d “gone missing” (Bistro, Travel Center, Bookstore)
* how the Dean enjoyed listening to music ranging from Eleftheria and Diana Krall to gypsy jazz and classic rock and would often call me into his office to listen to a particular passage (“come here, you’ve got to hear this!”)
* the Dean’s passion for Bistro coffee and scones while discussing politics with a student, grading papers, or catching up on some reading
* finding gifts of chocolates on my desk from his most recent travels abroad


Bob was one of a kind – I’m going to miss him.


Colleen Spedale – Assistant to the Dean of Campus Life

No comments:

Post a Comment